PROVINCE OF THE EASTERN CAPE
DEPARTMENT OF SPORT, RECREATION, ARTS AND CULTURE
THE COMMITTEE SECRETARY
PORTFOLIO COMMITTEE ON SPORT AND RECREATION
SUGGESTIONS RELATING TO THE MUNICIPAL INFRASTRUCTURE GRANT (MIG)
The subject here above has reference.
The Eastern Cape would like to join other provinces in expressing its disappointment at the failure to ring fence Sport and Recreation infrastructure funds within the MIG. The province believes that such an over-sight on the part of DPLG could lead to the collapse of the Sport and Recreation infrastructure development programme in the province and paralyse the 2010 Football stadiums infrastructure development.
In view of the above the province would like to make the following suggestions:
1. Funds for the Sport and Recreation infrastructure development be ring fenced.
- Provincial departments that deal with Sport and Recreation (Sector departments) be part of the prioritisation process within municipalities in the MIG seatings.
- Provincial Sport and Recreation departments be invited to participate in settlements planning meetings so as to ensure provision for sport and recreation amenities.
- Provincial Sport and Recreation departments be invited to participate in local and district municipalities' IDPS.
- National MIT 3 type structure be established at provincial level in order to safeguard and articulate sport and recreation interests at MIG seatings.
We trust that you will not hesitate to come back to us for clarity on those issues that need such.
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT